Marian Mill was first built in 1885, but closed after a few years. The Marian Central Mill Co Ltd erected a new mill in 1894 under the Sugar Guarantee Act, and the first crushing took place in 1895.

In 1966 the shareholders of Marian Central Mill Co Ltd voted to sell the assets and liabilities of that company to the cane farmers supplying the mill, who formed the Marian Mill Co-operative Society Limited.

On February 1, 1988, Marian Mill, together with Cattle Creek, Farleigh, North Eton and Racecourse mills, amalgamated and purchased Pleystowe Mill to form the Mackay Sugar Co-operative Association Limited.

Since then, Marian has been significantly improved to increase its crushing capacity, and its annual throughput of crops in excess of 2 million tonnes have earned it a ‘super mill’ status within the Australian sugar industry. Marian crushes crops previously supplied to the North Eton, which closed in 1989, and Cattle Creek Mill, which closed in 1990.